Modern Australian

Firedoor – Surry Hills

To quote their own website “The kitchen will burn a collection of different woods daily to create coals that will then be used to enhance the natural characteristics of the ingredients” this is evident when tasting the dishes a smokey flavor of varying intensity is present in the food providing another layer of flavor.  The menu changes every day and consists of  20 or so simple dishes as you can see below most have only a few ingredients. The restaurant its self-has a modern open plan fit out with an open kitchen so you can see the chefs work the fire in the ovens and grills.

The chefs menu is very good value at $85 for which you get all this food you see here! I was surprised when dish after dish kept coming out all the time thinking that this must be the last one by the time the final savory dish of quail was presented I was so full that I could only bring myself to have a small portion. Another thing I like about chefs menus is that you get dishes that I would not otherwise order so it forces you to try new/different things and often its the dish I would not have ordered that I liked the most.

Firedoor is worthy of  the hype that it has received; the food , service and atmosphere are excellent. Well worth checking out if you have not yet done so.

IMG_2175

Wood fired bread with house butter and olive oil

-UpForAFeed (2 of 6)

Smoked jersey curd with pickled vegetables

-UpForAFeed (1 of 6)

Garfish , bagnet vert , nasturtium

-UpForAFeed (4 of 6)

Grilled leaves , guanciale, walnut

-UpForAFeed (5 of 6)

-UpForAFeed (6 of 6)

Sugar snaps on almond sauce

-UpForAFeed (3 of 6)

Swordfish belly with fennel and blood orange

-UpForAFeed (1 of 2)

Jurassic quail , radicchio toasted spelt

-UpForAFeed (2 of 2)

Smoked parsnip ,apple , riesling

Firedoor -23-33 Mary Street, Surry Hills
Firedoor Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Maddie Loves Food October 28, 2015 at 9:26 am

That swordfish belly looks perfectly pink and so unlike the white swordfish meat you’d normally eat!

• Reply Joseph November 1, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Im normally not a big fan of swordfish but this dish was really nice!

• Reply Vanny @Nessy Eater October 29, 2015 at 6:06 pm

So keen to lick my computer screen for the smoked jersey curd. Looks so silky from my point of view! 😀

• Reply Joseph November 1, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Hard to decide but the jersey curd was my fav dish off them all 🙂

• Reply Helen | Grab Your Fork November 1, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I should definitely try the Chefs Menu on my next visit – we were too intent on having the rib eye on the bone last time. And parsnip in desserts is becoming such a thing now!

• Reply Joseph November 10, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hard to beat the chefs menu but the rib eye does look so go I would definitely try it next time!

• Reply Ramen Raff November 10, 2015 at 7:14 am

I so wanna try their ribeye but after reading this, I might go for the Chef’s menu instead! I want the quail, the the swordfish belly and that Jersey curd is interesting. Awesome write up Joseph!

• Reply Joseph November 10, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Thanks Raff!!! The chefs menu is great value and heaps of food. Im super keen to try the rib eye to see if it tastes as good as it looks.

• Reply Gourmet Getaways March 1, 2016 at 4:49 pm

I can almost smell the charcoal now. YUM!
    What a delicious meal, the chefs menu it is then 🙂
    Great story thanks for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

• Reply Joseph March 30, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Julie!
      If you like charcoal flavour then you will love the food here:)